Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Purpose: This Blog Has One

~Well, I'm not big on blogging. This is my first blog, and consequently my first post. So, let me tell you about myself some, and about what brought me to making this blog. Hopefully somewhere along the ride I can tell you all what the blog is aimed at.

I'm a student, 22, a Chemistry major, several years into my degree. I've only recently started to get interested in politics. I'm looking to get involved, but quickly realized that I don't know where I fit in the political world.

So, this is my journey to find a cause to stand behind in politics. My first consideration was to put myself behind one of local South Carolina politicians running for something this November. I was like 'cool, I could maybe get some people to vote, and maybe help make a small change'. Well, who would I put my efforts behind? I really have no idea.

I know what I don't like - extremism, fear-mongering, and ignorance - in politics. And South Carolina politics are rife with these things. So, I need to find someone to support that isn't too extreme, doesn't play on people's fears too much, and isn't too ignorant.

My search began. Very quickly, I realized two things.

1) It would be super helpful if I had all the information I needed to make this decision all in one place. I don't mean something like a profile of each candidate. I want to know how their campaigns function, I want to know what they're doing in the news, I want to know how hard their trying. Things like that. Things that you can't get by visiting a politician's website, or by seeing attack ads on TV, or those God-awful signs along the road that try to brand their names into your mind by sheer repetition. Most importantly, I want this information to come from many different sources. The media right now is... untrustworthy, in my opinion, so it's hard to know what to believe. More sources means a lot to me, as far as credibility goes.

2) If I go and look all this stuff up to figure it out for myself, I'll want to share what I've found. Well, being a 22 year old college kid, not a lot of my friends give a crap about politics. Especially anything less than Obama's campaign in 2008. So, instead of randomly spamming stuff that I find on my Facebook wall, I'll put it all here. Hopefully, in the process, I'll get some good feedback about it, too.

So, Hi there blog readers. I'm Ray, and this is my journey in sifting through all of the information on our politicians in South Carolina, and trying to find someone to throw my support behind.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere. You sure did pick a controversial subject to start with. Hope you don't mind a good argument or 3 occasionally ;)


    By the way, this is CW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks CW :D

    You know I don't mind an argument every now and again ;)

    ReplyDelete